Delicious caramelized onions in an herbed vinaigrette roasted to perfection with fried onions for amazing crunch!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of Contents
- Herbed Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fried Onions
- How to Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Onions
- Tips and Tricks for Perfect Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Onions
- What to Serve With Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Onions
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Fried Onions Recipe
Herbed Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fried Onions
Herbed roasted Brussels sprouts with fried onions is a delightful and flavorful side dish that elevates the humble Brussels sprout to new heights. This dish combines the earthy and slightly nutty taste of roasted Brussels sprouts with the savory crunch of fried onions, all brought together with a medley of aromatic herbs and spices.
To prepare this dish, fresh Brussels sprouts are halved and roasted to perfection, allowing them to develop a crispy outer layer while maintaining a tender interior. The addition of lemon juice and zest imparts a zesty and citrusy brightness that balances the richness of the sprouts.
The herb blend, featuring Italian herbs seasoning, adds complexity and depth to the flavor profile. It typically includes herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary, which infuse the sprouts with a harmonious combination of earthy, herbal, and slightly floral notes.
The final touch comes from the crispy fried onions, which not only provide a delightful crunch but also contribute a savory and slightly sweet element to the dish. The contrast between the roasted Brussels sprouts and the fried onions creates a satisfying texture and flavor experience.
How to Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Onions
To make this recipe, we need the following ingredients:
- Brussels Sprouts (1 pound): The star of the dish, Brussels sprouts provide a delicious and slightly nutty flavor. Roasting them brings out their natural sweetness and enhances their texture.
- Lemon Juice and Zest: Lemon juice adds a bright, citrusy tang to the dish, while lemon zest contributes aromatic and zesty notes. Together, they provide freshness and balance to the Brussels sprouts.
- Red Wine Vinegar (1/4 cup): Red wine vinegar adds acidity and depth of flavor. It helps cut through the richness of the dish and provides a subtle tangy undertone.
- Olive Oil (1/4 cup): Olive oil serves as the cooking fat and helps to roast the Brussels sprouts to perfection. It also adds a pleasant, fruity aroma and richness to the dish.
- Italian Herbs Seasoning (1 tablespoon): This seasoning blend typically includes a mixture of dried herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary. It imparts a savory and aromatic herbal profile to the dish.
- Fried Onions (1/2 cup): Fried onions contribute a crispy and savory element to the dish. They add a delightful crunch and a rich, caramelized flavor that complements the Brussels sprouts.
- Garlic Salt (2 teaspoons): Garlic salt provides a savory and garlicky flavor while also adding saltiness to enhance the overall taste of the Brussels sprouts.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following process:
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Trim, rinse, and halve Brussels sprouts and pat dry. Add to a large bowl.
- Make herbed vinaigrette and toss. In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, olive oil, salt, and herbs. Stir well to combine. Toss Brussels sprouts in vinaigrette and coat evenly. Stir in fried onions and lightly toss to coat.
- Bake. Spread Brussels sprouts and onions out on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice to cook evenly.
- Serve. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Onions
Choose Fresh Brussels Sprouts: Start with fresh Brussels sprouts. Look for ones that are firm, compact, and vibrant green. Avoid sprouts that are discolored or have yellowing leaves.
Trim and Halve Uniformly: Trim the tough stem end of each Brussels sprout and cut them in half. Try to make the cuts as uniform as possible to ensure even cooking.
Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to a high temperature, typically around 425°F (220°C). A hot oven helps to roast the sprouts quickly, ensuring they become crispy on the outside while staying tender inside.
Use a Quality Olive Oil: When tossing the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, use a good-quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor. It should coat the sprouts evenly.
Season Generously: Don’t be shy with your seasoning. The lemon juice and zest, Italian herbs seasoning, and garlic salt should be evenly distributed over the sprouts to infuse them with flavor.
Spread Evenly: Arrange the seasoned Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Crowding them can lead to uneven cooking and steaming instead of roasting.
Monitor Roasting Time: Keep an eye on the sprouts as they roast. Cooking times can vary depending on the size of the sprouts and the accuracy of your oven. They’re done when they’re tender and have a golden-brown exterior.
Fry Onions Just Before Serving: Fry the onions separately and add them to the roasted Brussels sprouts just before serving. This helps maintain their crispiness and prevents them from becoming soggy.
Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Consider garnishing your dish with fresh herbs like parsley or chives for a burst of freshness and color.
Serve Promptly: Serve the herbed roasted Brussels sprouts with fried onions as soon as they’re ready. This dish is best enjoyed hot and fresh from the oven to preserve its wonderful textures and flavors.
While fresh Brussels sprouts are recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use frozen ones if that’s what you have. Just be sure to thaw and pat them dry before roasting to avoid excess moisture.
To make fried onions from scratch, thinly slice onions and toss them in a mixture of flour and your favorite seasonings. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions until they turn crispy and golden brown. Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
You can prep some parts in advance to save time. You can trim and halve the Brussels sprouts and make the herbed olive oil mixture ahead of time. However, it’s best to roast them and fry the onions just before serving to maintain their freshness and texture.
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different herbs and seasonings to suit your taste. You can try variations with rosemary, thyme, or even a dash of balsamic vinegar for added depth of flavor.
Store any leftover roasted Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, place them on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until heated through. This will help retain their crispiness better than using a microwave.
This dish pairs well with a variety of main courses, such as roasted chicken, grilled steak, or even a vegetarian option like stuffed peppers. It’s a versatile side dish for any meal.
What to Serve With Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Onions
Roasted or Grilled Meats: These Brussels sprouts are a great accompaniment to roasted or grilled meats such as chicken, beef, pork, or lamb. The earthy flavors of the sprouts complement the savory notes of the meats.
Fish and Seafood: Consider serving roasted Brussels sprouts and onions alongside a baked or grilled fish, such as salmon or tilapia. The contrast in textures and flavors works well.
Pasta or Risotto: You can incorporate roasted Brussels sprouts and onions into a pasta dish or risotto. Toss them with cooked pasta or stir them into creamy risotto for a hearty and satisfying meal.
Vegetarian Options: For a vegetarian meal, serve roasted Brussels sprouts and onions with grains like quinoa or couscous. You can also incorporate them into a vegetarian stir-fry or grain bowl.
Sandwiches or Wraps: Use roasted Brussels sprouts and onions as a flavorful filling for sandwiches or wraps. Add some cheese, greens, and your favorite condiments for a satisfying lunch.
Salad: Turn roasted Brussels sprouts and onions into a warm salad by placing them on a bed of fresh greens. Drizzle with a vinaigrette dressing for added flavor.
Breakfast: Get creative and serve them as a side dish for breakfast alongside scrambled eggs, omelets, or frittatas.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Fried Onions Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, rinsed, trimmed and halved
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs seasoning
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Trim, rinse, and halve Brussels sprouts and pat dry. Add to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, olive oil, salt, and herbs. Stir well to combine.
- Toss Brussels sprouts in vinaigrette and coat evenly.
- Stir in fried onions and lightly toss to coat.
- Spread Brussels sprouts and onions out on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice to cook evenly.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Zulay Metal 2-In-1 Lemon Squeezer Manual – Sturdy, Max Extraction Hand Juicer Lemon Squeezer Gets Every Last Drop – Easy to Clean Manual Citrus Juicer – Easy-to-Use Lemon Juicer Squeezer-Yellow/Green
MasterChef Lemon Zester Grater with Handle, Kitchen Tool for Zesting Citrus Fruits & Finely Grating Parmesan Cheese, Garlic, Ginger, Coconut, Nutmeg, Wasabi, Chocolate etc, Stainless Steel, 12 inches
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel 17 1/4 x12 1/4 x1
Serving Size about 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 250Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1037mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix – please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
#Roasted #Brussels #Sprouts #Onions