Chocolate peppermint cheesecake masterfully combines the deep richness of cocoa with the invigorating coolness of peppermint, creating a symphony of flavors in each bite. This delightful fusion of contrasting tastes offers both indulgence and refreshment, making it an irresistibly delicious dessert treat and one of family’s favorites!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of Contents
- Creamy Minty Chocolate Cheesecake
- How to make Mint Chocolate Cheesecake
- Tips and Tricks to Perfect Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake
- What to Enjoy with this Holiday Cheesecake
- Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Recipe
Creamy Minty Chocolate Cheesecake
Chocolate peppermint cheesecake stands as a testament to the allure of pairing contrasting flavors to achieve culinary perfection. The velvety texture of the cheesecake, imbued with the depth and richness of cocoa, is elevated by the inclusion of peppermint, introducing a layer of refreshing coolness that cuts through the intensity of the chocolate. This combination ensures that each mouthful is a harmonious play of luxurious warmth and invigorating chill, making every slice an adventure for the taste buds.
The allure of this dessert goes beyond mere taste. The decadence of chocolate and the festive vibrancy of peppermint harken to both comfort and celebration. The chocolate brings forth memories of indulgent treats, while the peppermint, often associated with holidays and joyful occasions, adds a nostalgic touch. Together, they craft not just a dessert, but an experience, where the familiar coziness of chocolate meets the celebratory zest of peppermint, making it irresistibly delicious and memorable.
This is the perfect dessert for Christmas – Yum!
How to make Mint Chocolate Cheesecake
First you will need to assemble the following ingredients:
- Peppermint Oreo Cookie Crumbs (2 cups) – these cookie crumbs are ideal for the base for the cheesecake. You can use regular Oreos if you can’t find the peppermint ones.
- Butter (5 tbsp) – salted butter is used to press the Oreos together for the base.
- Cream Cheese (3 packages) – Cream cheese is a smooth, spreadable dairy product with a mild, tangy flavor and is perfect for cheesecake.
- Sugar (1 cup) – granulated sugar will add the sweetness to the cheesecake, use high quality sugar.
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (24 oz) – Greek yogurt or sour cream are thinner than cream cheese so will lighten up the cheesecake and help prevent it from cracking on the top.
- All-purpose Flour (1 tbsp) – a small amount of flour will help to stabilize the cheesecake so it will cut easily.
- Cornstarch (1 tbsp) – cornstarch will also help to bind the cheesecake together and will help the yogurt/sour cream and cream cheese to come together into the perfect consistency.
- Salt (1/3 tsp) – salt will help season the filling, use fine grain high quality salt.
- Peppermint extract (1 tsp) – Peppermint extract is a concentrated flavoring derived from peppermint leaves, imparting a cool, minty taste to this cheesecake.
- Vanilla extract (1 tsp) – this fragrant liquid flavoring derived from cured vanilla beans is used to enhance the flavor of this peppermint cheesecake.
- Eggs (2) – eggs add essential protein and flavor to the cheesecake, cream them well so they are well combined.
- Chocolate (1/2 cup), White Chocolate (1/2 cup), Candy Canes (1/2 cup) – these delicious fillings will go inside the cheesecake and be a beautiful garnish on top.
- Heavy Cream (3/4 cup) – cream is the perfect base for the ganache, use good quality cream and make sure you don’t overheat it.
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips (1 1/2 cups) – chocolate chips melt very easily for a smooth ganache.
You will use this Method:
- Prepare the Pan. Pray the springform pan with nonstick spray. Outside of the pan layer it with 4 layers of foil so that water wont leak in while it bakes.
- Make the crust. Combine the oreos and butter and press them into the bottom of the pan, press them against the bottom of the pan evenly with a cup or measuring cup to compress. Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow it to cool completely.
- Make the filling. Cream the cream cheese and sugar. Beat on low speed until creamy. Add the yogurt, cornstarch, salt, vanilla, peppermint extract, and eggs one at a time. Beat on low scraping the sides of the bowl until fully combined. Gently fold in the chopped chocolate and crushed candies.
- Bake. Pour the mixture into cooled crust. Place wrapped springform pan into 2 inches of hot water in a pan in the oven. Bake for about 1 hour till it is still slightly jiggly.
- Cool. When the cheesecake is done turn off the oven, place a wooden spoon in the door oven the oven and let it cool in the oven. When it is completely cooled remove it from the oven, remove the foil lining and chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours. Run a knife around the pan before removing it from the springform pan after chilled.
- Ganache. Add the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second bursts stirring each time till melted. Spread on the cheesecake and garnish with remaining chopped chocolates and crushed candy canes.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake
Try these tips and tricks to get a perfect cheesecake:
Quality Ingredients: Use full-fat cream cheese for a richer texture and flavor. Ensure all your ingredients, especially the cream cheese, eggs, and any dairy, are at room temperature before you begin. This helps in achieving a smooth batter without lumps.
Gentle Mixing: Overbeating the batter can incorporate too much air, which can lead to cracks as the cheesecake bakes and cools. Mix just until smooth and combined.
Scrape the Sides: Regularly scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure that all ingredients are fully incorporated and there are no lumps.
Avoid Overbaking: The center of the cheesecake should still jiggle a bit when you take it out of the oven. It will continue to cook from the residual heat as it cools.
Water Bath: A water bath, or bain-marie, keeps the oven moisture high and the heat gentle, reducing the risk of cracks. Wrap the bottom of your springform pan with aluminum foil to prevent water from seeping in.
Prevent Cracks: If you’re concerned about cracks, add a tablespoon of cornstarch or flour to your batter. This stabilizes the batter and reduces the risk of cracking.
Cooling Process: Once done baking, turn off the oven and let the cheesecake sit inside with the oven door slightly open for an hour. After that, transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely. This gradual cooling minimizes the risk of cracks.
Refrigeration: After the cheesecake has come to room temperature, refrigerate it for at least 4 hours, but ideally overnight. This not only ensures the cheesecake is set but also helps in developing its flavors.
Use a Warm Knife: When slicing your cheesecake, dip a sharp knife in hot water to get clean slices. Wipe the knife clean between slices.
Pan Prep: Line the bottom of your springform pan with parchment paper. It helps in easy removal and serving.
It’s recommended to use high-quality dark or semi-sweet chocolate for a deep, rich flavor. However, if you prefer a milder chocolate taste, milk chocolate can also be used.
Fresh mint and peppermint extract have different flavor profiles. If you prefer fresh mint, you can infuse the cream or base with mint leaves. However, for a traditional peppermint taste, especially around the holidays, peppermint extract or peppermint candies are ideal.
Cracking can occur due to overbeating the batter, baking at too high a temperature, or rapid temperature changes. Using a water bath and allowing the cheesecake to cool slowly in the oven can help prevent this.
Absolutely! You can use gluten-free cookies or graham crackers for the crust, and ensure all other ingredients used are gluten-free.
Stored properly in an airtight container, chocolate peppermint cheesecake should last up to a week in the refrigerator.
Yes, cheesecakes freeze well. Ensure it’s wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. It can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Yes, there are dairy-free cream cheese alternatives available. You can also use dairy-free chocolate and a non-dairy milk alternative.
While a springform pan is ideal for cheesecakes due to its removable sides, you can use a regular cake pan. However, serving might be a bit trickier; consider lining the pan with parchment paper with overhanging edges for easier removal.
What to Enjoy with this Holiday Cheesecake
- Hot Chocolate: Rich and creamy, hot chocolate pairs beautifully with the cool peppermint in the cheesecake.
- Coffee/Espresso: The bitterness of the coffee complements the sweetness of the cheesecake, creating a balanced taste.
- Mint Tea: A warm cup of mint tea can be a soothing and complementary drink with the peppermint tones in the cheesecake.
- Whipped Cream: A dollop of whipped cream can add a light, airy texture against the dense cheesecake.
- Chocolate Shavings: Enhance the chocolate flavor with some dark or white chocolate shavings on top.
- Mint Leaves: Fresh mint leaves can add a pop of color and reinforce the peppermint flavor.
- Berry Compote: The tartness and fruitiness of berries can balance out the richness of the cheesecake.
- Ice Cream and Sorbets:
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Classic vanilla can add creaminess and a simple flavor that doesn’t overpower the cheesecake.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: For those who want to double down on the flavor profile.
- Raspberry Sorbet: The tartness of raspberry can cut through the richness of the cheesecake, creating a refreshing contrast.
- Cookies and Confections:
- Chocolate-covered Espresso Beans: These can introduce a crunch and a kick of caffeine.
- Peppermint Bark: Perfect for enhancing the theme of the cheesecake.
- Shortbread Cookies: Their buttery flavor and crumbly texture can be a delightful contrast to the smooth cheesecake.
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
- 2 cups (18 cookies) Peppermint Oreo Cookie Crumbs (or regular Oreos)
- 5 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 24 oz (3 packages) Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- 2 large Eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup chopped Chocolate, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped White Chocolate, plus more for garnish • 1/2 cup chopped Candy Canes, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet Chocolate Chips
- First make the oreo crust. Preheat the oven to 350°F and add a roasting pan or other large pan in the lower section of the oven to make a hot water bath. Place enough hot water in the pan that it will rise to about 2 inches around the cheesecake pan.
- Spray an 8″ springform pan with cooking spray, and using 18-inch heavy-duty aluminum foil, wrap the outside of the springform pan with 4 layers of foil, to ensure no water leaks into the cheesecake as it bakes in the water bath.
- In a food processor, pulse the Oreo Cookies to crumbs (or smash in a plastic bag). Place in a small bowl. Stir in the melted Butter. Pour the crumb mixture into the prepared springform pan and press evenly into the bottom of the pan using a glass or measuring cup. Be careful to get an even layer of crust.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes. Set aside and allow crust to cool completely.
- Next make the Cheesecake Filling. In a mixing bowl (with paddles if available), combine the Cream Cheese and Sugar. Beat together at low speed until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl. 6. Add in the Yogurt, Flour, Cornstarch, Salt, Vanilla extract, Peppermint extract, and Eggs (one egg at a time). Beat at low speed, scraping the bowl until combined. Gently fold in chopped chocolates and crushed candy canes.
- Pour batter into cooled crust.
- Place wrapped springform pan filled with cheesecake mixture in the water bath pan in the oven. The hot water should be around 2 inches deep.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes. Begin checking the cheesecake at the 1-hour point to check its consistency. A slight jiggle of the pan (while still in the oven) will tell you if it’s ready, or needs more time. The cheesecake should be jiggly, but not liquid when done baking. If it seems a little liquid in the center, check it again in 10 minutes.
- When the cheesecake is set, yet jiggly, turn the oven off, but leave the cheesecake in the oven for another hour, until the oven has cooled. Do not open the oven during this time, but put a wooden spoon in the oven door to keep it open a half inch or so. This allows the cheesecake to cool slowly as the oven cools and prevents cracking.
- Remove from the oven when cooled. Carefully remove the foil lining from the springform pan. Chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
- Run a knife around the edge to ensure easy release when springform is removed.
- Finally make the Chocolate Ganache. Add Chocolate Chips and Cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring each time, until melted. It should take only a minute or so. Spread on top of cheesecake. Garnish with remaining chopped chocolates and crushed candy canes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 827Total Fat 52gSaturated Fat 30gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 143mgSodium 647mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 2gSugar 59gProtein 21g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix – please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
#Chocolate #Peppermint #Cheesecake #Sweet #Designs